Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Truly the Hardest Job in the World

I never realized how hard the job of being a mom is. Sure it has it's good days and it's bad, good moments and bad moments. I'm not sure what I thought being a mom was going to be like, but I have always wanted to be a mom nonetheless. I think I thought it would be easy and it's a far cry from that. I have told Shane multiple times that it is easier to work and go to school full-time than be a mom. You get a break from school and work every day but not from being a mom. You don't get as involved emotionally about work and school and a baby is so emotionally draining somedays. When you are up 4-5 times during the night and they wake up at 5:30 you have no choice but to make it through the day. It's frustrating seeing them cry and not know what's wrong with them or that they are fine and just working you. Right now Delphi is in her bed crying out her nap because she thinks she doesn't need to sleep. It's so hard to not go in and comfort her and sit here and just listen to her cry.

DSC03150

No matter how hard it is, I love being a mom. There is nothing more rewarding that going in to get her up in the morning and seeing her smile, finding something new that makes her laugh, admiring her in a new outfit, knowing that she is ours and holding her while she is asleep. Sometimes I just have to remind myself how lucky and blessed I am to be able to stay home with her. I truly thought that I would want to go back to work but after spending 3 months with her just the thought of going back put me in tears. I love seeing her do new things and experience the world around her. I love hearing her talk and goo, it cracks me up. I love sitting down and reading to her and watching her look at the pictures.

This is my favorite quote about mothers:

"Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world. . . . She who rears successfully a family of healthy, beautiful sons and daughters. . . deserves the highest honor that man can give, and the choicest blessings of God . President David O. McKay

I think it is very easy to think of all the things that we could be doing. I think we need to look at all the good things we do as mothers. Yesterday I was talking to my sister and we were both talking about struggles of having kids. She just had her 2nd baby and has a 2-year-old and she is trying to balance time with the baby and make Ruby feel included. I can't imagine having 2 kids and trying to figure it all out. When I have my second I'll go to Ashley for advice. She is an excellent mother and is so great with Ruby and Emma. She has taught Ruby how to be polite and wee behaved. She's a smart girl because Ashley has spent a lot of time teaching and playing with her even though she might not think so. She is a great mom and I am glad she is my sister. We have so much fun when we get together. She is a gigantic help to me when she takes Delphia so I can have a break or runs a diaper out to the trash for me.

I'm going to list 5 things I do as mother that I love:

1) Hold and comfort her no matter the time of day.

2) Sing songs to her (even if they are made up).

3) Tell her I love her everyday.

4) Lay on the floor for hours and have tummy time.

5) Read the same book over and over because it makes her happy.

I am tagging Ashley to do the same.

DSC03087

No comments:

Followers