Friday, November 13, 2009

Pizza Sauce and Pizza

On Wednesday I really wanted pizza after seeing a new crust recipe over on a food blog I frequent. We were going to make it that night but ended up having a late lunchand our power going off. We got the sauce and crust made and took it to my mom's to make for dinner last night. I will definitely be making it again and again! It was delicious and easy to make as the crust is all done in the Bosch and not by hand! The sauce is better than any store bought sauce I have had and extremely easy and very cheap to make! Delphia had fun helping Shane make the sauce but she thought that she could open the cans by herself with the can opener!



Chewy, Crusty Pizza Dough
I make this dough a lot, but it really requires a tough mixer or a lot of elbow grease. The key to a chewy crust is using your bread paddle & mixing it for quite a while. I also use the same dough for breadsticks. Half for pizza - half for breadsticks. or....This recipe will make 2 large pizzas.
You will need:
1 package active dry yeast...I use quick rise
1 teaspoon sugar
about 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups very warm water not so hot that it will ruin your yeast!
Directions:
In large kitchen Aid bowl, combine yeast, 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 tsp. salt. Add olive oil. Heat water to (120 to 130 degrees F.) I just get very warm water from the tap, but not scalding. With mixer at low speed, just blend water into dry ingredients. Now, at medium speed, beat 3 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with spatula. Beat in 1/2 cup flour to make a thick batter; beat at least 2 minutes more. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups flour to make a soft dough, and beat for at least 2 more minutes. If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour if necessary. Dough should be in a nice soft pliable ball. I remove this from my bowl, grease the bowl with oil, and replace the dough in my bowl. Cover with Saran wrap, and let rise until doubled. Punch dough down, cut in half; turn onto lightly floured surface. Cover 15 minutes. Grease 2 large cookie sheets or Use pizza stones, or 2 large pizza pans, that have been oiled. I also dust a little cornmeal on top of the oil, then spread my dough out. Use the Pizza sauce below, then add good mozzarella cheese, and your choice of toppings. Bake pizzas at 500 degrees oven on middle to lower rack. Enjoy!

My favorite Homemade Pizza Sauce
1 8 oz. can Tomato Sauce
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning (opt)
2 Tablespoons Parmesan Cheese (opt)
Combine all ingredients in bowl and blend well. This is enough sauce for two large pizzas.

No comments:

Followers